Fundraising & Development Manager - Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre
Posting Date: July 13, 2021
Application Deadline: July 30, 2021
At an exciting period of growth, the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre (VHEC) is Western Canada’s leading Holocaust teaching museum, typically engaging more than 25,000 students and teachers each year. The VHEC’s mission is to promote human rights, social justice and genocide awareness through education and remembrance of the Holocaust. Together, our programs:
- Educate the Next Generation: We challenge youth to become committed and responsible global citizens, alert to discrimination, racism and genocide in today’s world.
- Create More Witnesses: We provide students the opportunity to meet and hear survivors of the Holocaust, and to become witnesses to the eyewitnesses.
- Engage Educators: We strengthen the abilities of educators to teach this complicated history in age-appropriate ways.
- Work Toward a Better Future: We introduce generations of students to the lessons of history and inspire them to value social justice and human rights.
For a view into our mission, please visit www.vhec.org.
About the Position
In support of our updated strategic plan, the VHEC is seeking a part-time Fundraising & Development Manager (4 days per week anticipated) to join our vibrant and nimble team of 9 staff.
The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for fundraising and development activities as follows:
- Develops and implements fundraising plans and materials for annual campaigns, major gifts program, membership campaign and corporate sponsorship
- Manages a prospect pipeline and relationships at all stages: identification/qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Contributes to developing the major donor program (including endowment fund donors) and stewards relationships with donors, utilizing VHEC leaders and volunteers as needed
- Creates compelling case statements, proposals and reports for prospects and donors
- Writes grant applications and reports
- Promotes and manages a planned giving program
- Prepares briefing and de-briefing notes for donor/prospect calls
- Ensures that effective donor relations are conducted including gift collection, receipting and reporting of donations, recognition, and stewardship
- Monitors fundraising progress
- Organizes and assists with events to cultivate donors or recognize gifts
- Supports senior volunteers’ fundraising activities
- Manages special fund development events
- Sits on the Development Committee, supporting volunteer committee members in their fund development activities.
- Provides superior service to donors including communication, administration of gifts, legal or technical due diligence, compliance with CRA regulations, adherence to ethical standards, and on-going relationship management
- Reports to donors on use of funds through presentations and written reports
- Ensures database accuracy and integrity regarding profiles, contacts, giving history, and financial reports.
Remuneration is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive benefits package. The salary of $64,000 is for a 4 day (32 hour) week. Please also note that the schedule can be flexible and working from home is an option.
Salary Range:$48,000 - $64,000
As an accomplished development generalist, you ensure development policies, procedures and systems are effective, efficient, and support trends and best practices in fundraising.
You have a proven track record of meeting and exceeding fundraising targets. You enjoy both the big picture and the tactical. As the sole development practitioner in the organization, you’ve had to be self-sufficient and resourceful and can execute a strategic plan as well as administrative details. You have high standards and meeting deadlines and delivering results is something you expect of yourself and others.
Above all, you have a profound respect for donors and are committed to building lasting and trusting relationships.
Experience, Skills & EducationRequired
- A minimum 3 years of proven success in fund development with the skills, exposure or familiarity of processes and tools required to execute the responsibilities listed above
- Demonstrated writing skills is a key requirement
- Strong verbal and presentation skills
- Relationship building skills
- Knowledge of CRA regulation and adherence to ethical standards
- Passion for promoting human rights and social justice
- Grant writing and reporting experience
- Project management skills and donor database proficiency
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge
- Undergraduate degree
You excel in the following core competencies:
- Drive for Results/Initiative. You’re tenacious, persistent, and resourceful. You overcome obstacles, pressure, difficult situations, and conflicting priorities. You offer new ways of working over and above what is expected.
- Donor Focus. You focus efforts on discovering and meeting donor needs and demonstrate a strong commitment to ‘client first’ and ‘do what it takes’ approaches to providing service. You take personal responsibility for ensuring satisfaction.
- Interpersonal Skills. You effortlessly build and maintain productive, cooperative relationships with a high EQ and the ability to read people. You work effectively with individuals, corporations and foundations, as well as community leaders and volunteers.
- Problem Solving. You assess challenges to identify causes and gather and process relevant information. You generate creative solutions and find a way to make it work. You aacknowledge when you don’t know something and take steps to find the answer.
How To Apply
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Please email your cover letter and resume in one file to email@example.com quoting “Fundraising & Development Manager” in the subject line, on or before July 30th, 2021. Your application will be handled with utmost discretion and confidentiality.
All applicants will receive an automated email response confirming receipt of their application submission. Due to the high number of applications we receive, only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.