Manager, Annual Giving - Engineers Without Borders Canada
EWB Canada is a free-thinking charitable organization that brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We are a global community that applies inquiry, ingenuity and collective action to transform the flawed economic systems that allow poverty and inequality to persist.
We nurture talent and leadership, enable social entrepreneurship and advocate for policy innovations to crossbreed systems-changing innovations to ensure economic and public opportunity reaches everyone, including the most underserved and marginalized populations, especially women and girls.
The mission of our Annual Giving lead is to engage hundreds of thousands of people to support EWB’s mission. You are the person in our organisation who makes it compelling and seamless for people to contribute to our efforts to create impact. You will succeed by turning readers and followers into committed donors and supporters.
Your key success indicator will be the growth of our revenue from annual donors. The ideal candidate for this new role is a goal oriented direct marketing and digital practitioner who has experience designing and executing on annual giving strategies that succeed in engaging supporters and in generating revenue. The ideal candidate sees EWB’s existing community of 2,000 volunteers across the country, and EWB’s programmatic excellence in Canada and Africa, and EWB’s reputation and brand nationally, as a great opportunity to make your mark in the field of digital engagement and fundraising, and as a great opportunity to deliver meaningful impact in people’s lives.
Donor Engagement and Portfolio Management/Support
- Under the guidance of the Director, Partnerships, this position will execute the annual donor direct marketing and development initiatives, to increase net income by cultivating donors through proactive and planned channels and propositions.
- Oversee EWB’s Annual portfolio, engaging, cultivating, and soliciting individual gifts through campaigns.
- In collaboration with other members of the Partnerships team, assist in the development, and provide input into, EWB’s data driven donor retention strategies for annual, mid-level and monthly donor portfolios working to upgrade and convert existing donors to higher giving levels where appropriate.
- Lead the development and execution of fundraising campaigns aimed primarily at cultivating and soliciting support from EWB’s portfolio of annual donors and prospects, via a multi-channel approach, including direct mail, telemarketing and digital campaigns.
- Contribute ideas and experience to support messaging development, design and processes for annual donor communications and engagement across the Marketing team.
- In coordination with external vendors, manage the fulfillment, acknowledgement and receipting of all gifts.
- Assist in the maintenance and updating of donor records on the database including contacts with donors, correspondence sent, thank you calls, event attendance, and meetings.
- Campaign coordination; knowledge of fundraising campaign planning and execution; ability to use this knowledge to support annual campaign appeals across a variety of channels.
- Support the Partnerships Director to plan and execute key marketing activities including direct mail, telemarketing, digital campaigns with a focus on upgrading, renewing and acquiring new mid-level donors.
- Systems and processes support; ability to collaborate with team members and vendors to ensure timely donation processes and fulfillment; strong data and detail orientation.
- Support the timely and accurate provision of data to vendor partners in order to carry out campaigns, considering appropriate audiences and segmentation, coding and tracking.
- Collaborate with the development associate to develop and support the ongoing delivery of meaningful donor communications.
- Gift donation related data and gift entry, processing gifts (cash cheques, credit cards, wire transfers), acknowledgement, receipting and any other related financial duties in respect to donations received through solicitation methods deployed by EWB’s Annual Giving program and includes transactions from Internal Donation Form.
- Creating and updating import mapping files using 3rd party products such as iATS or standard Salesforce import module for efficient processing of donations both offline and online.
- Assisting with generation of financial reports of revenue data recorded in Salesforce.
- Ensuring tax receipt register is kept up to date and receipts issued from Annual Giving sources are all accounted for.
- Assisting in annual financial audit preparation.
- Relationship building and vendor management; Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build excellent working relationships with donors, colleagues and suppliers.
- Attend regular check-ins and meetings to review program performance and to support improvements from vendor partners.
- Work alongside fundraising colleagues and other EWB Canada departments to ensure campaign integration and cross-departmental collaboration.
Salary commensurate with experience and comparable to similar roles in the non-profit sector. All employees are provided with a comprehensive health/dental benefits package, Professional Development allowance and 3 weeks of vacation each year.
What’s it like to work at EWB?
EWB is a high-performing team-based work environment. While initially due to Covid, EWB is now permanently a remote working office. We are a small team with staff members based across Canada and in Africa.
Our office culture is one of passion, entrepreneurship, pragmatism, thoughtfulness,dedication and hard work. We have a strong commitment to excellence and achieving results. Our leaders, staff, and volunteers are youthful; this manifests in our dynamic and positive outlook.
Work hours are typically 9 am to 5:00 pm with varied hours as required by meetings or events.
Diversity, Inclusion and Gender Equality
EWB embraces diverse cultures, heritages, experiences and opinions in efforts to enrich our programmes and foster inclusive decision making. EWB is committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free employment free from discrimination, and to hiring diverse candidates.
EWB believes that gender discrimination is a root cause of global poverty and economic inequality, and the achievement of gender equality is integral to our mission of achieving systemic change and creating a more just society. We seek to achieve a vision of a more equitable society, inherent to which is the enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, class, ethnicity, disability, age or another status.
Salary Range:$55,000 - $65,000
- 4+ years’ experience working in a fundraising/not-for-profit environment, (specifically direct mail, email, telemarketing and other digital channels).
- Planning and Organising: Follows up, plans activities and sets priorities related to the Annual Giving portfolio, including but not limited to managing Direct Mail and Email marketing campaigns, fielding incoming donor requests, holding phone/virtual meetings with mid-level donors, and stewarding all incoming mid-level gifts.
- Results and Quality Orientation: Improve performances and set ambitious and realistic goals related to the Annual Giving Portfolio, specifically around projecting annual portfolio revenue, building strategies for revenue growth and achieving ambitious, pre-set revenue goals.
- Initiative and Innovation: Takes action in complicated and critical situations when related to the Annual portfolio, including but not limited to campaign development.
- Proficiency with database management and using CRM donor database (Salesforce experience advantageous).