VMF DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT - Vancouver Mural Festival
VMF DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
APPLICATION TIMELINE: Open June 7 - July 25. Interviewing July 26 - Aug 10.
STATUS: Full Time, Temporary Maternity Leave Cover, August 16 until March 18, 2022
LOCATION: Vancouver, BC
REPORTING TO: VMF Directors and Board
COMPENSATION: $4500-$6500 monthly salary, commensurate with experience
Create Vancouver Society DBA Vancouver Mural Festival’s (VMF) is a registered non-profit dedicated to artistic and cultural development in the Lower Mainland year-round. Through the creation of permanent, large-scale, public murals and public events, we provide a platform for Vancouver's diverse art scene to contribute to the city’s cultural legacy for years to come. Our annual flagship event, Vancouver Mural Festival takes place in August, with many projects throughout the year. Our newest event, VMF Winter Arts will take place from Feb 10-27, 2022, with a focus on light and technology in public art. It is our mission to create meaningful experiences that bring together art and people as we highlight the local culture and vibrance of our region. We put extra focus into the visual sovereignty of the local Coast Salish communities; as well as dedicated support of the work of BIPOC artists and cultural producers.
We are inclusive in our organization and operations, and our programming is intended for all classes, cultures, genders, ages, abilities, and beyond. We believe that it is crucial to the cultural health of the city of Vancouver to create tangible and lasting visual evidence of the rich diversity of voices living and working here. Our artist roster is an effort to reflect the varied histories present in our city and region.
VMF strives to:
- Host Canada’s premiere Public Art & Culture Festivals
- Develop and maintain a sustainable business operations model/framework
- Be regionally trusted partners in civic culture building
- Foster a culture of quality, equity, creativity, collaboration and inclusion
For more information, please visit vanmuralfest.com.
The Director of Development leads our organization in sponsor and partnership opportunities for our emerging and established programs and assets. VMF is launching the second iteration of VMF Winter Arts this February 2022, and our 7th edition (and post-Covid edition — fingers crossed) of our flagship summer festival in August 2022. This leadership position will play an integral role in ensuring the necessary partners are engaged, and public funding and private sponsorships are in place for these major events. The total expected revenues across both events (private, public, and earned) is expected to be around $2.5-$3M. While some of this is in place, you’ll be reaching into both your networks and ours in order to secure all project funding and build/maintain new and existing sponsor and partner relationships.
- Lead on, develop/refine major project sponsorship architecture, while maintaining managerial oversight of major project budgetary needs, targets and timelines.
- Provide regular reports for team and board meetings on development updates as necessary.
- Lead, manage and execute all fundraising plans and ensure the organization stays on track in reaching its targets.
- Oversee public funding sources and deepen relationships and opportunities with public funders.
- Strong networking skills and prospecting skills.
- Act as a connector and spokesperson for our major assets, ensuring effective communications with stakeholders, stewarding them and keeping them informed on and engaged in our work.
- Work closely with the Director of Creative Projects and Director of Engagement to set strategy and maintain fruitful working relationships with community groups, artists, funders, politicians, and other stakeholders as they relate to our major programs and assets.
- Take the lead from the Director of Marketing & Brand to capitalize on VMF marketing assets in negotiating sponsorship agreements.
- Ensure the effective planning, timelines, implementation, and evaluation of the organization's major projects within the contracted time frame.
- Support in recruitment and oversee the success of Development team’s goals and strategies.
- Work closely with VMF Directors’ team to ensure a comprehensive understanding of each asset and funding needs/opportunities.
- Ensure programs continue to align with the mandate and mission, while supporting development of long-term vision and strategy.
- Maintain a positive, healthy and safe work environment which encourages diversity, engagement and growth for team members.
Salary Range:$54,000 - $78,000
- 10+ years non-profit management experience (or equivalent).
- Solid experience and proven track record in fundraising and development, preferably with a lens on entertainment, arts and culture.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies unique to the non-profit arts sector.
- Strong existing network, and exceptional relationship-building skills.
- Solid, hands-on, financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, team leadership, program development, and facilitation.
- Authentic leadership with demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff, and inspire others to strive towards a shared vision.
- Ability to interface with and engage diverse funder, partner and stakeholder groups.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including excellent public speaking ability.
- Ability to convey a vision of VMF’s strategic project goals to team, Board, volunteers, funders, government representatives, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to manage conflict and address challenges with respect and openness.
- Experience in event planning & production,organizational operations, marketing, sponsorship, and equity, diversity, and inclusion are an asset.
- Experience in government relations an asset.
- Experience working in a festival environment is an asset.
- Practical use of Google Suite, Salesforce, and other fundraising software and tools an asset
How To Apply
Interested applicants please send a cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com with “YOUR NAME: Development Application” in the subject line. Your application will be acknowledged upon receipt, though due to volume, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Vancouver Society is open to applicants of all races, ethnicities, identities, abilities, ages, and genders, and the organization is particularly interested in reviewing applicants who self-identify as members of groups with minority representation in leadership roles.