Development & Communications Coordinator - BC Centre for Ability
The BC Centre for Ability provides community-based services to enhance the quality of life for children, youth with special needs and adults with disabilities, and their families, in ways that foster inclusion in all aspects of life. Our belief that every person is born with the ability to succeed in life, on their own terms has enabled us to serve children, youth, and adults with disabilities, and their families, since 1969, when we were first established as the BC Neurological Association.
About the Development and Communications Department
BC Centre for Ability’s Development and Communications department leads the development and implementation of effective fundraising and communication strategies and programs that support the Centre’s overall strategic goals and current and long-term needs. It builds strong, collaborative relationships internally across the organization and externally with current and prospective donors, community and industry partners, and key stakeholders. The department ensures that the organization’s communications programs develop, support, enhance and connect BC Centre for Ability’s brand to employees, stakeholders and the community at-large.
About the Opportunity
We are searching for a talented and professional communications coordinator to join our dynamic Development and Communications team. Your duties will be diverse and multi-faceted, therefore excellent professional skills are vital for this role. The successful candidate will be passionate about people, and personal values will align with the vision mission and values that BC Centre for Ability holds at its foundations. You will have graphic design skills, enjoy contributing to and developing our digital presence, and will have a can-do attitude! You must possess superb written and verbal communication skills - special consideration will be given to those who have experience working within a non-profit environment; and possess a strong knowledge of fundraising, donor relations, volunteer-relations, gift-giving etc.,
A Day in the life of our Development & Communications Coordinator
- Providing support to the Director of Development and Communications and overseeing the delivery of fundraising and communications support to BC Centre for Ability (BCCFA).
- Creating and developing a variety of content to support fundraising, communications and marketing efforts, including annual reports, newsletters, websites/blogs, social media, brochures and press releases to build BCCFA’s social media/online presence and brand profile.
- Assuming responsibility for various fundraising efforts in all areas of fund development, including annual level giving, mid-level to major gift giving, donor relations, special events, foundation grant relations, corporate donations/sponsorship, and planned giving.
- Providing guidance or work direction to volunteers, supporting staff and vendors when coordinating the fundraising events
- Assisting Development and Communications team in developing and implementing a communications strategy designed to further BCCFA’s objectives.
- Monitoring analytics and create reports detailing the successes and growth opportunities of communications campaigns and strategies.
- Following industry trends and make recommendations for adjustments to improve communications strategies / practices and public profile.
- Supporting media inquiries and BCCFA’s relationships with external stakeholders and members of the press / media.
- Coordinating press releases, conferences and other related promotional events to maintain BCCFA’s public relations.
- Assisting in writing grant proposals, prospect/donor correspondence, briefing/debriefing notes, solicitation materials/proposals, and fundraising and stewardship reports.
- Preparing employees for media appearances and interviews
Coordinating volunteers, support staff, vendors and more to support external-focused / fundraising events.
- Ensuring all promotional and marketing materials meet BCCFA’s brand guidelines and strategy.
- Developing creative and graphic designs to create content for various collateral, materials and resources, including newsletters, websites/blogs, social media, brochures and press releases to build BCCFA’s social media/online presence and brand profile.
- Promoting all BCCFA social media channels and online presence/website to raise BCCFA’s public profile and deepen engagement with external stakeholders.
- Performing other related duties as required.
Benefits & Perks
Our workplace culture embraces Hope, Kindness, Collaboration, Innovation and Family. We offer meaningful benefits and perks that make a difference for you and your family. Here are some of them:
- Extended Health and Dental plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Collaborative team environment
- Learning and development opportunities
- Free onsite parking
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working option
- Workplace wellness
Salary Range:$40,000 - $55,000
The Qualifications and Skills You Bring
- A minimum of 1-3 years’ experience in a marketing/communications or fundraising position or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Minimum Diploma in communications, marketing, English, public relations, journalism, social sciences or humanities is an asset.
- Possess a solid understanding of communications/marketing techniques and trends.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication / interpersonal skills
- High level of creativity and the ability to think analytically
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to develop, evaluate and monitor systems and procedures
- Ability to research, analyze and effectively resolve problems Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize competing demands
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Experience with design software and platforms is an asset
- Experience with platforms such as Mail Chimp or a similar program
- Proven knowledge of communications and marketing ethics and best practices
- Strong public speaking abilities are an asset
- Experience as a graphic designer an asset
- Physically able to carry out the duties of the position
How To Apply
Interested? *Apply Now!
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our organization and our community, we want to hear from you! *The closing date for applications is 11:59pm on Friday June 4, 2021. To apply for this position please click here.
*Please note: only applications with a cover letter detailing the reasons why you would like to work with us enclosed will be considered.
The BC Centre for Ability is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.