Director, Donor Engagement - BC Cancer Foundation
The BC Cancer Foundation is the fundraising partner of BC Cancer and the largest charitable funder for cancer research in B.C. Every dollar we raise stays right here at BC Cancer to advance research and enhance care for the people of B.C.
With almost 80 employees working across 5 sites in B.C we are actively working with our 100,000 donors and communities to inspire investment in BC Cancer and our provincial teams of world-leading researchers, oncologists and care providers.
We are a professional, passionate and positive team who believe that we can help make a difference in the lives of all British Columbians.
About the Opportunity:
The Director, Donor Engagement will have broad responsibilities for the overall strategic direction and management of the Foundation's comprehensive, unique, and highly donor-specific approach to donor experience and stewardship.
The Director, Donor Engagement will define best practices, implement and continually benchmark, revitalize, and tailor programs to deliver the highest degree of donor thanking, recognition, accountability, and engagement; coordinated across all of the Foundation’s fundraising programs. The Director will anticipate and provide the tools, opportunities, and activities required by the development team to foster long-term and meaningful relationship with donors; understanding this to be an integral/essential part of the fundraising cycle.
This position is normally based at our Vancouver office at 686 W Broadway #150. In light of COVID-19, the option to perform this position remotely is available until distancing measures are lifted. However, attendance in the office is occasionally required during this period in response to team and business needs.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Donor Experience key responsibilities will include:
- Develop the overall strategy and plans to ensure the delivery of personal, unique, and meaningful stewardship and recognition experiences to ensure donors are appropriately acknowledged; feel appreciated; have confidence the Foundation will fulfill its fiduciary duties; and understand the immediate and long-term impact of their support.
- Coordinate the development, implementation, and review for a wide range of programs and processes to ensure donors experience high-quality interactions with the Foundation, developing new approaches as required.
- Continuously innovate and manage a range of opportunistic and donor driven initiatives to foster and enhance the Foundation’s relationship with its donors. Such initiatives include but are not limited to: media announcements, major discovery announcements, equipment installations, corporate cultivation opportunities.
- Work with the Marketing & Communications team to develop communication plans to inform donors of the impact and value of their gifts to foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Develop and deliver a wide range of programs and resources that equip fundraising departments to have the tools to engage donors at an individual and mass level.
- Collaborate with the Development Operations, Marketing & Communications, Corporate Relations and Major Gits teams to strategize on approach surrounding micro campaign and match challenges to engage donors.
- Work alongside various teams at BC Cancer Foundation to strategize and enhance the diversity strategy and portfolio.
- Lead, develop and coach a team to deliver at the highest levels and achieve the goals and objectives of the department.
- Foster engagement between BC Cancer and the BC Cancer Foundation. Manage key relationships within BC Cancer and the wider BC health care community which are deemed fundamental to the success of the Foundation’s donor engagement programs.
- Work in collaboration with the Donor Experience Advisory Council as required.
- Support the review and implementation of platforms and initiatives that enhance our overall Donor Experience portfolio.
Salary Range:$0 - $0
- Relevant university degree and minimum of 5-7 years of donor stewardship experience or similar directly related experience
- Minimum 4-5 years relevant donor cultivation and high calibre initiative and program planning experience
- Success in leading stewardship and recognition strategies in a large, complex, dynamic and sophisticated organization
Core knowledge + skills:
- Understanding of fundraising principles, donor relations, and charitable giving trends
- Ability to deal with a variety of complex issues that require in-depth understanding of donor stewardship within the context of a high-level major and principal gift donor program in a decentralized organization
- Experience designing and implementing fundraising initiatives, including individual cultivation, solicitation and recognition strategies
- Experience in organizing, planning, executing and evaluating complex programs and events in diverse settings
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Superior writing and editing skills are essential
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, effectiveness and organizational skills
- Demonstrated professionalism and tact in handling highly sensitive and confidential information ethically; adhering to professional standards and protecting the confidential information of BCCF and BC Cancer
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Must display a high level of maturity and personal integrity and an ability to understand, develop, and sustain resilient and dynamic relationships with donors, colleagues, and senior management
- Ability to share information in an effective and collaborative manner; ability to function effectively in team situations both within and across departments and other organizations to achieve optimal collective results
- Ability to adapt and respond to the changing environment and to constructively create opportunities for change; demonstrated initiative to generate improvements and foster positive outcomes
- Proven ability to set and accomplish goals/objectives, and establish priorities with minimal direction.
- Experience and demonstrated strength in leading and motivating a team
- Ability to make dynamic public presentations.
- Excellent computer skills including word processing, database/information management, email and internet - knowledge of all aspects of sophisticated fundraising software programs, preferably Raiser’s Edge
- Uphold and contribute to BCCF’s values of Professional, Passionate, and Positivity
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a vehicle
BC Cancer Foundation is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity & inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, language, national or Indigenous origin, family or marital status, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status.
How To Apply
If this opportunity is of interest to you please apply on our website at: https://bccancerfoundation.com/about-us/careers