Annual Giving Officer - VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation
Who are we?
VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation is Vancouver Coastal Health's primary philanthropic partner, raising funds for specialized adult health services and research for all British Columbians. We partner with donors to drive innovation and sustainable health care at VGH & UBC Hospital, GF Strong Rehab Centre, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute and Vancouver Community Health Services.
Further information about the Foundation is available at www.vghfoundation.ca.
The Annual Giving team is responsible for individual giving (up to $25,000), direct response fundraising as well as online, monthly and tribute giving. The Annual Giving program is an important source of undesignated income for the Foundation, raising more than $4M last year. By fostering relationships with donors who give up to $25,000 annually, the Annual Giving team also helps develop a pipeline of potential donors for the Foundation’s Major Gifts and Gift & Estate Planning teams.
What’s the opportunity?
Reporting to the Associate Director of Annual Giving, the Officer’s primary responsibility is the success and growth of the Foundation’s tribute giving program (donations in memory, in honour and in celebration). This involves building and maintaining relationships with tribute donors, next-of-kin and honourees or celebrants and includes the creation of tailored cultivation and stewardship plans. The Officer is also responsible for project managing the execution of three direct mail appeals per year in partnership with the team’s Direct Response Manager.
This role provides an important source of predictable and unrestricted revenue for the Foundation. Annual revenue responsibility: $1.2M ($800K Tribute, $400K Direct Response).
Responsibility Area: Tribute Giving Program
- Drives the development and execution of strategies and tactics to meet revenue and donor number goals for tribute giving; sets ambitious annual targets and creates benchmarks for growth
- Sets direction and leads the creation of collateral for the tribute giving program; including strategy development, creative direction and supplier management as required
- Develops tailored cultivation and stewardship plans for tribute donors, next-of-kin and honourees or celebrants; including gift acknowledgement, accountability reporting and managing recognition
- Builds a portfolio of larger tribute donors/families (gifts $1,000+) for ongoing cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; proactively retains and upgrades key accounts to maintain an active prospect pipeline
- Uses tact and sound judgment when advising bereaved families, hospital partners, major donors and other diverse stakeholders
Responsibility Area: Direct Mail
- Leads the development and execution of three direct mail appeals per year to renew/reactivate existing donors; including strategy development, creative direction and supplier management
- Works in partnership with the Direct Response Manager to align direct mail appeals with the annual direct response work plan
- Manages suppliers, including negotiating project budgets and building long-term, sustainable partnerships
This individual is expected to provide a high level of customer service where requests from internal and external stakeholders are responded to with a high degree of urgency, professionalism and accuracy.
What do we offer?
This is a full-time 12-month contract to cover a maternity leave, with the possibility of extension. The successful person can expect a competitive base starting salary between $59,579 and $68,091, depending on experience. Additional variable pay, flexible working arrangements, investment in professional development and subsidized access to fitness, cycling and parking facilities all contribute to a top-notch total rewards package.
What do you bring?
- 5 years of experience in a high-touch, donor-facing role; demonstrated experience developing and executing tailored cultivation and stewardship plans
- Demonstrated ability to interact tactfully with diverse stakeholders; proven problem solver who can exercise a high degree of diplomacy and discretion
- Willingness to establish and maintain professional relationships at all levels – ‘relationship builder’
- Proven knowledge of annual fundraising activities such as data segmentation and preparation, solicitation, gift fulfilment, retention, stewardship and reporting.
- Demonstrated experience in direct marketing coordination and administration
- Proven ability to meet multiple deadlines with competing time and resource constraints in a complex and fast-paced environment
- A flexible, proactive self-starter who is comfortable operating in a complex environment
- Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team
- Qualification in a relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education, training and experience; CFRE designation is an asset.
- In-depth experience with a donor management system (Raiser’s Edge and/or Salesforce preferred)
- Advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of products
- Demonstrated analytical skills; strong attention to detail
How To Apply
If you possess the qualifications and experience indicated, please email your resume and cover letter in a single pdf file, with “[Your Name], Annual Giving Officer” in the file name and email subject line, to email@example.com by 9:00 am on 5th August.