Sr. Director, Community Engagement - Take A Hike Foundation
Take a Hike Foundation is seeking a Senior Director, Community Engagement with an interest in mental health, and a passion for the outdoors, education and supporting vulnerable youth and families, to become part of our Basecamp team in Vancouver.
Take a Hike is a charitable organization that partners with public school districts to engage vulnerable youth in a full-time mental health and emotional well-being program embedded in an alternate education classroom. Take a Hike engages youth in intensive and continuous clinical counselling, adventure, and community, public school districts engage youth in high quality education, and together we empower youth to believe in their potential and achieve success- however they define it.
Because of our youth’s success we are regularly approached by schools and communities to partner to offer the program. We have set an ambitious ten-year goal to partner with every school district in BC with the need, desire, and capacity to offer the proven, evidence-based Take a Hike Program. For more information on the program, please visit www.takeahikefoundation.org.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and serving as a key member of the senior leadership team, the Senior Director, Community Engagement will develop and execute strategies to fund the province wide expansion of Take a Hike. As a first step, we will increase annual funds raised from $1.8M to $2.5M by August 2022.
The incumbent will be accountable for increasing and diversifying Take a Hike’s annual philanthropic revenue through individual giving, corporate philanthropy, foundation grants, campaigns for gifts and other revenue sources yet to be determined. This role also has oversight of Take a Hike’s fundraising strategy, reporting, and administration while managing a portfolio of major donors, with a significant acquisition target.
The Senior Director, Community Engagement will oversee and provide guidance to our talented and dedicated, six-person (five-full time equivalent) philanthropy and communications team. The team has a culture of shared leadership and team-based targets, with each member being self-sufficient in and taking responsibility for their portfolio.
The team has had tremendous growth over the past four years, including increasing annual funds raised from $700K to $1.8M, significant donor acquisition, building a strong case for support, and investments in data and technology.
This role will serve as a member of Take a Hike’s senior leadership team and have significant interaction with board members and senior volunteers. In this function you will have an opportunity to shape Take a Hike’s strategy and culture and move the organization into the next phase of growth.
- A strong understanding of the donor cycle with skill in deepening relationships and winning gifts through effective cultivation and stewardship
- Current knowledge and practice of best practices and trends in philanthropy
- In-depth knowledge of fundraising information systems (CRMs) and data management, preferably using Salesforce
- Ability to use innovative tools and technologies to support fundraising programs
- Demonstrated capacity working with high-net worth individuals and families, foundations, community leaders, and senior officials in the corporate sector
- Skill in prospect and pipeline management
- Strong financial acumen, revenue forecasting and reporting skills, and a keen understanding of fundraising metrics/ KPIs
- Experience recruiting, engaging, and working with senior volunteers, including Boards of Directors
- Ability to take initiative in organizing, planning, delegating, systematizing processes, and promoting a team approach
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively, act with integrity, and influence others as a positive change agent
- Ability to develop strong partnerships with other senior leaders in the organization
- Superior verbal, written and presentation skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or ten plus years of experience in a senior fundraising leadership role directing and implementing comprehensive fund development programs, with a thorough understanding of various revenue streams and how to best foster integration and collaboration between these revenue initiatives to raise $2.5M annually in the next two years.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) considered an asset.
What Take a Hike is Offering:
This is a permanent, full-time position with a salary range of $110,000 to $120,000 and will be commensurate with experience level. We provide four weeks paid vacation, 100% employer paid extended health, dental and insurance benefits. We offer a flexible work environment with the option to work from home a portion of the time and the ability to set your own work hours while meeting donor and team needs. Our Basecamp office, located in downtown Vancouver, is fun, collegial, and open concept. Our ideal start date is Fall 2020.
How To Apply
How to Apply:
If this position is of interest to you, please submit your cover letter and resume to Nicole Silvestre, Director of HR at email@example.com by August 16, 2020 at 5pm PST.
Take a Hike values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at Take a Hike means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. BIPOC candidates are encouraged to consider this opportunity.