Manager, Philanthropy - Surrey Libraries
Surrey Libraries is an innovative and award-winning library system that provides a wide range of materials, programs and information services to the community. We are a growing library system, recognized for our ability to respond creatively to our active and diverse community through outreach to community groups and partnerships with agencies. In addition to our collections, progressive use of technology and a wide variety of online resources, we specialize in genealogical materials and multilingual collections in 16 languages. Our 9 branches, together with our website www.surreylibraries.ca generated over 4.5 million visits last year, offering a wide range of publications, programs and services to people of all ages and interests.
There is an opening for the position of Manager, Philanthropy at Library Administration. This is a regular full-time (35 hours per week) position reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications for 6 months with the possibility of extension. The Manager, Philanthropy is responsible for managing and implementing the library system’s fund development plan and strategically advancing the philanthropic objectives of the Library.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Plans, organizes and directs all aspects of fund development, including prospecting, solicitation, recognition, and stewardship.
- Plans and organizes Annual, Major Gifts and Planned Giving programs and campaigns, when appropriate.
- Identifies and pursues grant application opportunities.
- Identifies and cultivates relationships with donors and sponsors to garner financial support.
- Co-ordinates the development and implementation of online fundraising opportunities.
- Prepares analytical reports and financial summaries on fundraising activities.
- Develops and manages a robust stewardship plan to support ongoing communications with donors and sponsors.
- Ensures that amounts given to the Library are spent accordingly and related expenditures are within industry standards.
- Directs, trains and evaluates personnel involved and assisting with the fundraising program.
- Manages the donor database.
- Keeps abreast of changes to legal and regulatory requirements for charities.
- Develops and recommends policies, methods, procedures and practices relating to fund development. Ensures that standards of service are maintained and consistently applied.
- Develops, implements and evaluates the marketing and communications plan for the fundraising program.
- Liaises with the media and the community on behalf of the Library, where appropriate.
- Participates in management committees and special projects as requested.
- Represents the Library in Labour Management matters, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in philanthropic studies, marketing, communications or related field.
- Five years progressive experience in fundraising.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation or post-secondary certificate in fundraising preferred.
- Knowledge of fundraising principles, practices and trends.
- Demonstrated skills in identifying and cultivating prospective donors, soliciting gifts and maintaining donor relations.
- Demonstrated skills in program planning, including ability to analyse and report on program results.
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of promotional techniques and marketing trends.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with corporate and media representatives, existing and potential donors and sponsors.
- Ability to work under minimal direction and exercise considerable independence and discretion.
- A criminal record check is a condition of employment.
How To Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, send your cover letter and resume with the subject “Manager, Philanthropy” to SPLEmployment@surrey.ca. The deadline is Monday, December 2, 2019.
We thank in advance all applicants who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.