Director of Operation - Blind Beginnings
Blind Beginnings Director of Operations
This is an opportunity to enhance the impact of an established and growing grassroots charitable organization, whose mission is to inspire children and youth who are blind or partially sighted, and their families. At Blind Beginnings, we provide diverse programs, experiences, counselling and peer support, and opportunities to support our children and youth in creating fulfilling lives. We envision a world where seeing things differently inspires limitless possibilities. For more information about Blind Beginnings, visit us at www.blindbeginnings.ca
Position Title: Director of Operations
Term: Full time (35 hours/week)
Location: Metro Vancouver
Wage: $55,000-$75,000 depending on level of experience
Note: Willingness to work evenings and weekends on occasion and as required.
Closing Date: March 30, 2019
Start Date: April 23, 2019 (negotiable)
Blind Beginnings is seeking a dynamic, strategic, and experienced Director of Operations to oversee daily operations of Blind Beginnings and work in partnership with the Executive Director/Founder to lead the organization through a transformational growth period.
Through the development and management of people, strategy, and procedures, this role is key to cultivating a productive and welcoming culture where our team and program participants can thrive and our supporters feel valued.
The scope of responsibility within this role is broad, and thus requires thorough knowledge of non-profit operations and the non-profit sector in BC. The successful candidate must have demonstrated leadership ability and experience with strategic planning and organizational management. Our fantastic new Director of Operations will lead the organization in communications, fundraising, and administration, while the Executive Director/Founder will manage programs and services.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to: day to day operational management; leadership and staff support; implementation and development of fund development and communications strategies; financial oversight (including budget development, monitoring cash flow); partnership development, administration systems; and performance benchmarks.
Leadership, Administration and Human Resources:
- Lead team to achieve results through advanced development of systems, procedures, and evaluation metrics. We are striving for operational excellence!
- Play a significant role in short and long term organizational planning including implementation and ongoing development of strategic plan.
- Improve and implement HR management systems with HR Generalist.
- Oversee implementation and adherence to existing policies and business practices. Ensure a periodic evaluation of the current policies and practices as needed.
- Supervise and manage employees (including those in office and working remotely).
- Ensure staff are supported with their responsibilities and corresponding accountabilities.
- Prepare and conduct staff meetings.
- Place high importance on professional development to build individual and organizational capacity.
- Cultivate a culture of inclusivity and volunteerism.
- Provide support to Executive Director/Founder with program development including budgeting and criteria to measure and evaluate program impact.
- Liaise with board of directors and attend regular board meetings.
- Represent Blind Beginnings with stakeholders, including: staff, families, donors, volunteers, partners, and Municipal, Provincial, Federal branches of government.
- Oversee vendor selection and relationships; negotiate and manage vendor contracts.
- Develop and administer communications strategy.
- Manage all communications, including: press releases, website content, e-blasts, social media, etc.
- Create compelling presentations and reports.
- Generate and publish annual reports.
- Establish fund development systems and procedures.
- Develop and administer fund development and stewardship strategy.
- Play an active role in fund development operations including grant writing, events (community and signature), major giving, corporate giving, etc., to build and diversify sources of revenue.
- Establish donor cultivation, engagement, and recognition guidelines, and foster an environment where donor stewardship is valued.
- Oversee day-to-day processing of income and expenditures, quarterly and end-of-year financial reporting, and staff payroll in collaboration with bookkeeper and HR Generalist
- Provide support to the board Treasurer in preparing the annual budget and periodic creation and execution of reports.
- Ongoing management of program budgets.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Communicates with clarity and impact in a wide variety of settings.
- Able to work on a variety of projects simultaneously; determine priorities, and balance workflow and changing workload expectations.
- Demonstrates an ability to adapt and thrive in an atmosphere of changing priorities and circumstances.
- Demonstrates a consistent focus on achieving results despite challenges or obstacles, demonstrating a concern for doing a good job and achieving or surpassing standards of excellence.
- Able to identify, analyze and resolve problems quickly, fairly and efficiently with ability to intervene effectively in conflict situations.
- Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively within a team, and with individuals to achieve optimal results.
- Demonstrates the promotion of a workplace where diversity in background, thought and practice is welcomed and valued.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management - budget management, expense tracking, invoice processing, etc.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years of operational management and/or non-profit management, including management of staff.
- A relevant degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
*Must complete a Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Check that is obtained within six (6) months of the date of employment.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are asked to send a resume and cover letter to the HR Generalist, Amy Amantea at email@example.com
Please note that only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.