Development Officer, Events - Alzheimer Society of B.C.
The Development Officer, Events, is responsible for the oversight of the Alzheimer Society of B.C.’s province-wide Anything for Alzheimer’s third party events portfolio and the Breakfast to Remember fundraiser (Kelowna). Reporting to the Manager, Resource Development, this position is a part of an events team and is supported by an Events Coordinator.
Your desire to inspire and lead community members to engage and make a difference is matched by your passion for the Society’s cause. You believe in building and maintaining strong relationships, and are professional, highly organized, and motivated. Your ability to work independently is matched by your belief in working as a team to achieve the highest standards and outcomes for the Society and the community we serve. You are excited by news ideas and think outside the box, balanced with a strong understanding of CRA requirements.
You are excited by the opportunity to support a growing team in a time of change and during heighted social awareness of the cause.
- Flexible work environment, including opportunities for a nine day fortnight and/or the ability to work from home on occasion.
- Excellent employee benefits package, where most premiums are 90% paid by the Society.
- An Employee and Family Assistance program for you and your dependents.
- Support for appropriate training and development initiatives.
- Generous leave provisions (vacation, holiday closure, personal days).
- 12 paid statutory holidays a year.
As part of a team, the Development Officer, Events provides oversight and support to third party events and will plan, manage and implement a key signature fundraising event—the inaugural Kelowna Breakfast to Remember.
- Working with the Manager of Resource Development, develops and implements a strategic business plan for the portfolio.
- Strategizes, develops, facilitates, and coordinates signature fundraising events including event volunteers, logistical arrangements and other event-related needs.
- Recruits and provides leadership and support to volunteer committees.
- Leads the recruitment and promotion of third party events province-wide.
- Recruits event participants.
- Oversees/coordinates event logistics.
- Provides work direction to Development Coordinator(s).
- Works with the sponsorship team to secure event sponsors and liaises with Marketing and Communications to develop promotional plans.
- Provides leadership and support to community members and staff, inspiring, motivating and supporting them to fully engage in events.
- Monitors and reports on status of project plans for event logistics and support.
- Monitors event budgets.
- Provides support as necessary for the annual IG Wealth Management Walk for Alzheimer’s.
- 3-5 years of experience in event planning, volunteer management, and donor relations, preferably in the charitable sector.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills, with a high degree of initiative.
- Exceptional judgement and decision-making skills within the parameters of the role.
- Experience working with a diverse group of stakeholders, including front line volunteers, senior leadership volunteers, government officials, corporate partners and donors.
- Demonstrated excellence with oral and written communication.
- Highly organized and able to balance a diverse workload.
- Ability to work the occasional evening or weekend.
- Experience working with cross functional teams, including marketing and communications.
- Strong expertise with fundraising databases (Raisers Edge and Luminate preferred) as well as related digital technologies.
- Sound knowledge of CRA guidelines that relates to events and gift-in-kind donations is an asset.
- Must be able to drive and have reliable transportation.
- As the position may work with vulnerable populations, a criminal records check will be required.
- Occasional travel within BC will be required.
How To Apply
Forward your resume with a cover letter that details how your experience and qualifications match this opportunity. Please include your salary expectation.
Alzheimer Society of B.C.
300 - 828 West 8th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1E2
Closing date is March 20, 2019.