Director, Philanthropy - Sarah McLachlan School of Music
SoM provides top quality music education at no cost for at risk and underserved children and youth. As advocates helping children and youth transcend barriers they may be facing, our program uses music as a tool of inspiration for students to connect with themselves and one another in a safe and nurturing environment.
Director of Philanthropy
The Director of Philanthropy is responsible for design, development + implementation of SoM’s fundraising strategy. With a focus on major gifts & donor stewardship, the Director of Philanthropy also leads implementation of grant-writing schedule, corporate partnerships, foundations, events + donor recognition/communications.
- Develop 3 to 5-year strategic fundraising plan for the organization;
- Research and identifies prospective donors and provide background research in support of fundraising;
- Produce proposals and requests-for-grants for procuring funds;
- Identify and obtain individual, governmental, corporation, and foundation contributions;
- Coordinate preparation and delivery of donor agreements;
- Initiate and cultivate contacts and build and maintain positive relationships;
- Develop recognition and other incentive packages and levels to ensure appropriate recognition for donors;
- Ensure donor information is current, organized and reported through eTapestry;
- Track donor recognition benefits and ensure reliable processes are in place to simultaneously track donor recognition benefits in eTapestry;
- Ensure promised donor recognition benefits are fulfilled/delivered by coordinating lists and mailings related to annual reports, donor walls, print advertisements, performance and special events tickets, cheque presentations and all other recognition vehicles;
- Work with other groups within the organization to identify and track on the appropriate metrics that demonstrate donor return on investment;
- Coordinate preparation and delivery of annual donor stewardship packages including stewardship reports, recognition benefit summaries, student recordings, etc.;
- Prepare documents for internal and external meetings and events including agendas and minutes and attend when appropriate;
- Oversee preparation and production of all promotional materials related to fundraising (mailings, print pieces, and website);
- Plan and coordinate donor events (as identified) and tours, engaging SoM admin staff in implementing the event;
- Coordinate all aspects of assigned independent (third party) fundraising events.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR/JUDGMENT
The Director of Philanthropy is expected to make decisions and recommendations, in collaboration and under the supervision of the Executive Director, impacting fundraising activities for SoM. Incorrect interpretation or communication, lack of tact, diplomacy or sensitivity in dealing with the public and donors could result in damaged relationships and credibility, leading to potential loss of donations.
Reporting to the Executive Director.
Job Type: Full-time
- fundraising: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Vancouver, BC (Preferred)
- Strong fundraising background and proven experience, including annual giving, direct mail, grant writing, planned giving, and major gift acquisitions.
- A University degree.
- 5 to 10 years of fundraising experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment in soliciting and securing gifts;
- Exceptional writing skills necessary to generate succinct and compelling proposals and stewardship materials;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to initiate contacts and build and maintain positive relationships;
- Passionate, articulate, and driven individual with the capacity to plan and coordinate a variety of concurrent projects and meet deadlines;
- Strong conceptual, strategic, and analytical skills;
- Strong people person - very sociable and high emotional intelligence;
- Demonstrated ability to organize, multi-task, set priorities, and work under pressure of time constraints;
- Advanced interpersonal skills, able to relate to multiple stakeholders, an extrovert who would oversee the entire admin piece of fundraising (data entry, phone calls, donor engagement);
- High level of competency with eTapestry and MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint); and
- Performs administrative tasks related to the planning and execution of overall Development activities.
How To Apply
Please send your resume and a cover letter, with salary expectation, together in one PDF, to email@example.com
Sarah McLachlan School of Music (SoM) is an equal opportunity employer, committed to an inclusive and safe work environment for people of all backgrounds.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.