Director, Donor Relations - B.C. Children's Hospital Foundation
What we do
At BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, we’re on a quest to ensure every kid in the province receives the best health care imaginable. As a fundraising organization, we inspire communities and people to support BC Children’s Hospital, along with its world-class research institute, mental health facility and rehabilitation centre.
Our work makes a profound difference. From helping get the boldest research ideas off the ground to supporting the most advanced equipment, together we are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in children’s health care. This is no small task—which is why we’re looking for passionate people to join our team and help propel our mission forward.
What you’ll do
As the Director, Donor Relations, you will report to the Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and oversee a highly effective Donor Relations team. You will serve as a leadership team member and be an active participant in making strategic donor relations decisions affecting BC Children’s Hospital Foundation.
The Director, Donor Relations develops, implements, manages and assesses a comprehensive donor relations strategy and program which seeks to foster the development of meaningful donor relationships and support the strategic fundraising goals for BC Children’s Hospital Foundation.
More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Developing, implementing, and leading a successful and integrated donor relations vision and program.
- Providing inspirational leadership and guidance to a team of Donor Relations professionals.
- Working in collaboration with all members of the Foundation’s team to provide expert donor relations advice and support.
- Managing the donor relationship strategy to thoughtfully and proactively provide meaningful opportunities to cultivate relationships with new donors and engage and steward current donors in order to meet and exceed expectations.
- Focusing on donor retention and engagement strategies.
- Recommending, developing and implementing donor relations policies and providing gift agreement oversight.
- Providing oversight and direction of campus naming and physical recognition opportunities.
- Managing the government naming process.
- Collaborating with Principal and Major Gifts Teams to develop targeted donor relations strategies and acts as the Donor Relations lead for select Principal and Major Gift Donors.
- Working closely with the Philanthropy Team to demonstrate gift impact to donors by helping to create meaningful and memorable experiences.
- Using key metrics to achieve higher retention rates and donor satisfaction. Tracking metrics to assess the current engagement and activity of donors to determine which efforts have the greatest impact.
- Acting as a liaison and specialist to the Philanthropy Team in order to provide cultivation and stewardship direction to individual donors and prospects.
- Overseeing and directing the development and implementation of strategic communications in multiple mediums in a timely fashion and ensuring a donor relations lens.
- Acting as the Foundation representative on the Hospital Wayfinding Committee Liaison.
- Managing any campaign or donor funded -related kick-offs and celebration events. Ensuring key hospital partners are engaged and briefed on all aspects of the event.
- Developing and providing guidance on donor and signature event guidelines.
- Creating innovative programs and projects to thank and steward donors; identifying creative and effective mediums to recognize the impact of corporate and individual support.
- Tracking donor relations and stewardship activities in the established databases to enhance relationships and increase the likelihood of continued support.
- Collaborating with other teams on all gift acknowledgments, including receipts, thank you letters, pledge statements and donor reports to ensure a donor relations lens.
- Proactively managing door issues to ensure mutually beneficial solutions.
What you bring
As the successful candidate, you will have a university degree or diploma in business, marketing, or a related area; and a minimum of ten years of senior donor relations and/or fundraising experience in assisting in individual and major gift donor stewardship and cultivation strategies. At least five years in a supervisory/senior management role, leading a mid-sized team is required. Possession of a CFRE designation is an asset.
Additionally, you demonstrate the following:
- The ability to embody and demonstrate BCCHF’s Values of Collaboration, Integrity, Accountability, Excellence and Innovation.
- Leadership skills and the ability to lead, coach and motivate a team and influence colleagues.
- The ability to work strategically, develop and implement donor relations programs and plans.
- The ability to develop and implement novel and creative solutions for highly varied and complex donor relations issues.
- Deep fundraising knowledge and understanding of donor motivations and their expectations.
- The ability to manage several projects simultaneously and work effectively under time constraints.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to respond to internal and external stakeholders’ with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- The ability to work collaboratively and a team player.
- Highly adept at problem solving.
- Outstanding communication skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills; and the ability to work collegially and interact effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Financial acumen and business judgment to manage budgets.
How To Apply
We believe that anything is possible. And that permeates every action we take. As a team, we push ourselves to constantly aim higher in our work. We try new things and challenge the status quo. We respect each other and act from a place of compassion in everything we do.
While we take our work seriously, we’re also big on taking care of our team. We offer perks like a nine-day fortnight schedule and flexible hours, topnotch health and dental benefits, and a commitment to professional development.
We think it’s a pretty amazing place. Others agree—we’re proud to say that we’ve been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for 10 years in a row.
Seem like the right place for you? Join us and help kids shine. Apply online at https://www.bcchf.ca/join-team by Friday, November 15, 2019.