Philanthropy Officer, Chinese Community - BC Children's Hospital Foundation
What we do
At BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, we’re on a quest to ensure every kid in the province receives the best health care imaginable. As a fundraising organization, we inspire communities and people to support BC Children’s Hospital, along with its world-class research institute, mental health facility and rehabilitation centre.
Our work makes a profound difference. From helping get the boldest research ideas off the ground to supporting the most advanced equipment, together we are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in children’s health care. This is no small task—which is why we’re looking for passionate people to join our team and help propel our mission forward.
What you’ll do
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) has an exciting opportunity for a talented relationship builder and fundraiser to join our team and support our fundraising efforts within the Canadian Chinese Community. Reporting to the Director, Chinese Community, this role will be responsible for key donor and account strategies, volunteer management and donor development within this unique and diverse ethnic community. Please note that this role requires the ability to speak Cantonese and to write in Traditional Chinese.
In addition, you will be involved in overseeing the Chinese-Canadian Miracle Weekend and Young Ambassador Program, working closely with key volunteers and committee members in advancing philanthropy amongst this unique demographic.
More specifically, as Philanthropy Officer you will:
- Independently develop strategies for and carry-out business development to build an existing fundraising program including cold calls, relationship building and stewardship of key donors.
- Strategically recruit and work closely with senior volunteer leaders within the community to assist with the assigned portfolio.
- Plan, organize and execute annual fundraising campaigns.
- Develop and execute tailored strategies such as: fundraising plan development; proposal and stewardship report preparation; making person-to-person donor contact; conducting tours of hospital/health centre facilities; arranging meetings between prospects/donors and senior leaders of BCCHF and/or the hospital/health centre.
- Assume primary responsibility for the overall fundraising success of a designated portfolio of corporate and individual donor accounts in order to renew and upgrade these accounts and cultivate new prospects.
- Be responsible for management of junior fundraising staff and/or administrative staff.
What you bring
You possess exceptional business development skills, gained through either direct fundraising or sales experience. You are a leader with exceptional communication, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills which enable you to analyze, plan, initiate and complete projects in a timely basis. Your proven success in building and maintaining donor and volunteer relationships and ability to work as a team player are critical to the role. Your proven ability to negotiate, inspire and foster a positive, collaborative work environment makes you an ideal candidate for this role.
In addition, you will have:
- Five years of directly related fundraising and/or business development and relationship management experience.
- A Diploma or Degree in Marketing or Business Administration.
- Ability to speak Cantonese and to write in Traditional Chinese.
- People management experience.
- Experience working with volunteer committees.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Raiser’s Edge 7 or other database experience is an asset.
- CFRE designation is an asset.
- Class 5 BC driver’s license and access to reliable transportation to attend a variety of donor meetings and/or off-site events.
- A flexible schedule that allows for after-hours events and meetings.
How To Apply
We believe that anything is possible. And that permeates every action we take. As a team, we push ourselves to constantly aim higher in our work. We try new things and challenge the status quo. We respect each other and act from a place of compassion in everything we do.
While we take our work seriously, we’re also big on taking care of our team. We offer perks like a nine-day fortnight schedule and flexible hours, topnotch health and dental benefits, and a commitment to professional development.
We think it’s a pretty amazing place. Others agree—we’re proud to say that we’ve been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for ten years in a row.
Seem like the right place for you? Join us and help kids shine. Apply online at by September 25, 2019 at www.bcchf.ca/careers