DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT - Vancouver Symphony Society
Founded in 1919, the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) is the third largest symphony orchestra in Canada, and the largest performing arts organization in Western Canada. It has an annual operating budget in excess of $16.5 million. The Orchestra performs 150+ concerts annually in its home, the Orpheum Theatre, as well as numerous venues throughout Metro Vancouver. The organization also delivers extensive education and outreach programs reaching more than 50,000 young people annually. Maestro Otto Tausk is the Music Director. The VSO is also the only major orchestra in Canada to have its own music school. The VSO and the VSO School of Music are closely integrated to provide joyful, enriching and transformative experiences through music for all.
The Development Assistant reports to the Vice President, Chief Development officer and acts as the assistant to all senior fundraisers. This position is the principal gift processor and will also provide the Development Team with exceptional administrative support that will advance the work of the entire Development Department in reaching and exceeding its fundraising goals and objectives.
- Provide exceptional administrative/clerical assistance to the Vice President, Chief Development Officer and senior fundraisers.
- Address all aspects of donation processing, including data entry, batch reconciliation, tax receipting, and gift acknowledgement in Tessitura, the VSO’s integrated ticketing and fundraising database.
- Create new records, associate, merge and inactivate records as needed. Add appropriate notes, tags or fields to accounts for relationship management, in accordance with the VSO’s preferred best practices.
- Draft and update a variety of documents, including letters, reports and proposals.
- Pull lists for Direct Mail campaigns and stewardship activities.
- Schedule meetings with donors and prospects, as well as internal fundraising-related meetings. Prepare as appropriate for those meetings.
- Support the Development Department with research needs.
- Source quotes, order, maintain, and keep a detailed inventory of the Development Department’s office and event supplies.
- Provide exceptional customer service when fielding incoming calls about VSO fundraising activities, tax receipts and general donation enquiries.
- On occasion assist with processing of the VSO’s lottery ticket sales.
- Provide assistance with and at special events and donor stewardship activities.
- Assist in growing financial and in-kind support from individuals, foundations, and corporate donors.
- Occasional reception and phone coverage.
- Contribute to a strong, effective, and respected team that is proactive and goal oriented.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- A minimum of two years’ experience, ideally in a non-profit/fundraising environment including gift processing and administrative assistance or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite a necessity and advanced knowledge of In-Design a very definite asset.
- Knowledge of fundraising software an asset.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Excellent and accurate typing skills.
- Demonstrates initiative in a collaborative environment.
- A mature and disciplined self-starter with the ability to set objectives, activate plans and remain focused in an open and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in handling confidential materials and interacting with management staff, visitors and donors.
- Polite, professional manner with superior communication skills, both orally (in person and by telephone) and in writing.
- Resourceful, adaptable, reliable and punctual.
- Tact, diplomacy, discretion and adherence to confidentiality essential.
- Sense of humour.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
The description summarizes the general nature and level of work expected of the position. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the position.
How To Apply
Email applications only please, in either PDF or Word format¾send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Development Assistant—“YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Posting closes: Open until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with the Vancouver Symphony but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
Mailing Address: 500–833 Seymour Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 0G4
Location: 500–843 Seymour Street, Vancouver