Philanthropy Associate, Chinese Community - BC Children's Hospital Foundation
Philanthropy Associate, Chinese Community
What we do
At BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, we’re on a quest to ensure every kid in the province receives the best health care imaginable. As a fundraising organization, we inspire communities and people to support BC Children’s Hospital, along with its world-class research institute, mental health facility and rehabilitation centre.
Our work makes a profound difference. From helping get the boldest research ideas off the ground to supporting the most advanced equipment, together we are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in children’s health care. This is no small task—which is why we’re looking for passionate people to join our team and help propel our mission forward.
What you’ll do
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) has an exciting opportunity for a talented relationship builder and fundraiser to join our team and support our fundraising efforts within the Canadian Chinese Community. Reporting to the Director, Chinese Community this role would be responsible for grassroots fundraising initiatives for a designated portfolio of donors, with a focus on donors from the Mainland Chinese population. Please note that this role requires the ability to speak Mandarin.
More specifically, the Philanthropy Associate will be responsible for:
- Developing fundraising plans to help achieve awareness and engagement amongst leaders and influencers within the Mainland Chinese community, with the overall goal of increasing fundraising within this community
- Identifying opportunities for outreach and strategically recruiting volunteers to support the Foundation with identification of prospects and influencers
- Building relationships with existing donors and volunteers and collaborating with other staff to identify, cultivate, and solicit new and existing donors
- With oversight from the Director, developing and executing tailored fundraising strategies, which includes: fundraising plan development, drafting proposals for support, stewardship report preparation, making person-to-person donor contact, conducting tours of BCCH facilities, arranging meetings between prospects/donors and senior leaders of BCCHF and/or BCCH
- Planning, organizing and executing the annual SHINE Mother’s Day tea event, and other fundraising campaigns and events as required
- Working closely with Marketing & Communications to create in-language communication for donors such as e-newsletters, WeChat and social media posts, infographics, print collateral, etc.
What you bring
As the successful candidate you have a degree or diploma in business, marketing or fundraising, with a minimum of 3 years of direct fundraising experience.
Our ideal candidate embodies our values of Excellence, Collaboration, Integrity, Accountability and Innovation and also demonstrates the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- The ability to speak in Mandarin; ability to read/write in Simplified Chinese is considered an asset
- A strong understanding of the Mainland Chinese culture, and with knowledge of how business and charitable giving are conducted in this community
- Strong relationships building skills with an ability to develop a positive rapport with a diverse range of individuals
- A demonstrated ability in implementing fundraising strategies and achieving fundraising revenue targets
- Proven success in building and maintaining donor and volunteer relationships
- Sound computer skills and experience with Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office applications
- Exceptional and proven oral, written and presentation communication skills
- Ability to efficiently organize and manage a diverse range of assignments while meeting multiple deadlines, along with thorough attention to all details and consistent with follow through
- A flexible schedule that allows for multiple after-hours events and meetings
How To Apply
We believe that anything is possible. And that permeates every action we take. As a team, we push ourselves to constantly aim higher in our work. We try new things and challenge the status quo. We respect each other and act from a place of compassion in everything we do.
While we take our work seriously, we’re also big on taking care of our team. We offer perks like a nine-day fortnight schedule and flexible hours, topnotch health and dental benefits, and a commitment to professional development.
We think it’s a pretty amazing place. Others agree—we’re proud to say that we’ve been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for ten years in a row.
Seem like the right place for you? Join us and help kids shine. Apply online at by September 8, 2019 at www.bcchf.ca/careers